Swimming WA (SWA) is the peak body for swimming in Western Australia, representing more than 85 swimming clubs and over 12,300 members across the state. SWA is a proud member of Swimming Australia Limited.
Our vision is to ensure that “Swimming is an essential part of the Western Australian way of life”. SWA is a values based, performance driven organisation seeking talented people prepared to work hard to deliver the SWA Strategic Plan 2015-2018.
SWA is undergoing an exciting transformation and this is reflected throughout the WA community where stakeholders have determined that ‘It’s Swimming’s Time’.
SWA expects all employees to exhibit the values of the organisation, which include:
Swimming WA in conjunction with Swimming Australia is seeking a charismatic and energetic Development Officer to work within a national development network to grow the sport and provide lifelong opportunities for everyone.
The key outcomes of the position are to actively grow participation in the sport of swimming through the administration of junior development programmes. This will be achieved by working closely with Swimming WA affiliated swimming clubs, the school network and learn to swim centres.
A close working relationship with affiliated bodies, and other relevant stakeholders will be essential to the successful achievement of this position’s objectives. A primary outcome of the position is to deliver development programmes and support to clubs to promote membership growth and competition.
A close working relationship with Swimming WA regions, clubs and members and internally with all members of staff will be essential to the successful achievement of this position’s objectives.
- Promote the aims and objectives of Swimming WA and Swimming Australia, within the swimming and general community
- Coordinate and deliver development programmes throughout WA to increase participation and membership
- Develop regular channels of communication between Swimming WA and Learn to Swim Centres, Schools and Clubs and promote programme achievements and events.
- Coordination of school swimming programmes and development initiatives to grow the connection and engagement
- Implement contemporary participation programmes and support Clubs, swim schools and facilities to remain vibrant and important hubs of the community
- Coordinate opportunities for all Western Australians to participate in swimming through inclusive practices
- Administer grass roots recruitment and retention programmes designed to grow the sport in Western Australia
- Deliver State and National development initiatives to increase junior participation in the sport of swimming
- Coordinate and deliver Swimming WA development programmes including:
- Sunsmart Splash & Dash
- Optus Junior Dolphins
- Westpac Sumer League
- School Support Programme
- Sporting Schools
- Swimming Australia Junior Excellence
- Spirit Carnivals
- Any other additional programmes
- Increase opportunities for all categories of swimmers (e.g. Multi Class, Indigenous, etc.) in Western Australian swimming
- Develop plan for delivering development programmes to Metro and Regional areas
- Create regular communication channels for development programmes and promote the programmes achievements
- Liaise and build strong relationships with key stakeholders in relation to development programmes i.e. Swimming Australia in relation to the coordination and implementation of the Optus Junior Dolphins initiative and Sporting Schools.
- Lead in the implementation of development objectives for affiliated clubs & Regional Associations of Swimming WA
- Participate in national development network and assist Clubs to build sound community links, particularly with local schools, facilities and learn to swim schools
- Liaise with local government Club Development Officers, other organisations and individuals on matters relating to sports development
- Actively encourage clubs to build partnerships with Learn to Swim programmes across the State and build pathways to club swimming
- Support the Club Services Coordinator with delivery of programmes and events for Clubs to ensure sustainability and strong governance
- Assist to develop strategic objectives and creative activities to promote and engage children and their families in the sport of swimming and its underpinning programmes
- Attend and contribute in the operation of Swimming WA conducted swim meets as required.
- Perform reporting and compliance as required
- Any other duties as directed by the Chief Executive Officer or Performance and Development Manager as requested.
- National Police Check
- Working with Children’s Check
- Current Drivers Licence
- Knowledge and administrative experience in the WA sporting Club environment
- Experience & understanding of sporting Club or community-based environment.
- Hands on experience in swimming and/or sport administration
- Proven administration and event management skills
- Understanding and experience with engaging children in a sporting environment
- Experience in sport in sport development programs
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to evoke the cooperation of people including volunteers, coaches, schools and pool operator across a range of organisations.
- Preparedness to be flexible in respect to work hours
- Strong computing skills in Microsoft
- Ability to work independently and with initiative
- Well-developed time management skills and the ability to prioritise tasks
- Strong communication (written and verbal), relationship building and presentation skills
- Strong negotiation and budgeting skills
- Tertiary degree in a relevant field
- Aquatic Rescue
- Swim Teaching or Coaching Qualifications
- Experience with social media platforms